So you did it. You chose a career in the exciting and dynamic (that’s a euphemism) world of digital marketing….definitely a journey not for the faint of heart. So what makes it tough to be a digital marketing pro?
1. Marketers are from Venus and technologists are from Mars…and neither group understands you.
2. All budget and timeline overruns due to changing project scope (driven by other departments or groups) are your problem.
3. People around you read a blog post and say things like, “We have to do that!”
4. Close to launch someone always says “I just have one little change…”
5. People don’t understand what you and your team do…or why it takes the time to do what it is you and your team do (see number 2 and number 4).
6. It is easier to pull teeth from a live shark than get content on time from a client.
7. Anytime someone could use an acronym you’ve never heard of (probably recently made up by somebody) … and you will be deemed incompetent for not knowing it.
8. Emerging technologies that are…well…faster than emerging.
9. Great digital talent is much harder to find in a real person than in a resume
10. Clients say they want exciting, fun stuff… but in the end, after all is said and done (read here – death by budget cuts and committee driven mediocrity), they just have you build a website.
What challenges ring true for you and what have I missed? Tell us about your experience in the comments below!