So you chose a career in the exciting and dynamic world of digital marketing. Being a digital marketer definitely isn’t a journey for the faint of heart. What makes it so tough to be a digital marketing pro?
1. Marketers are from Venus and technologists are from Mars. In other words, neither group understands you.
2. Budget and timeline overruns due to changing project scope are caused by other departments. But these are your problem.
3. The people around you read a blog post and say, “We have to do that!” Regardless of whether it will cause problems for you.
4. When you’re close to launch, someone always says “I just have one little change…”
5. People don’t understand what your team does… or why it takes the time to do what your team does.
6. It is easier to pull teeth from a live shark than it is to get content on time from a client.
7. Anytime someone uses an acronym you’ve never heard of, you will be deemed incompetent for not knowing it.
8. Emerging technologies that are…well…faster than emerging. Much, much faster.
9. Great digital talent is much harder to find in a real person than in a resume.
10. Clients say they want exciting, fun stuff… but in the end, (read: death by budget cuts and committees), they just have you build a website.